Study levels in Canada

Study after secondary schools in Canada consists of three levels based in the nature of the institution and program length as at universities and university colleges’ focus on degree programs while in some colleges offer applied degrees and all other institutions focus on diploma and certificate programs

As followed:

Study levels in Canada

Some institutes and colleges provide associate degree and some other provide diploma and certificate programs in particular areas or specializations

Degree programs varies between two-year associate degrees to four-year applied degrees where they are offered. University diplomas and certificates are one or two years of study in a specific field or discipline. , these programs vary widely based on which province and differs from institution to other.

Government in Canada is regulating all Community colleges and post-secondary institutions offering diplomas or (one- or two) year academic and pre-professional certificates, two-year associate’s degrees or even three- and four-year bachelor’s degrees. Canada have More than 155 community colleges hosting approximately 950,000 full-time student and almost 1.6 million part-time learners at over 900 campuses around Canada.  Several Thousands of international students study in community college each year in Canada

Community colleges in Canada also can be called institutes, or institutes of technology, or technical colleges, or regional colleges, CEGEPS (an acronym for Collège d’enseignement general et professionnel) in Québec, university

Community colleges or “colleges” is main pillar in Canada’s education system. As it provides both comprehensive academics, high quality, and employer-centred programs, industry connections and internship opportunities. Colleges offer academic courses in both arts and sciences, in addition to specialized career and language training. The college itself could be a general education school, offering a variety of programs in different fields (such as applied and creative arts, health, and business, technology, trades, social services, hospitality and university preparation), or it could be industry- or culture-specific college or single field-, (such as, college of justice and public safety or forestry, art and design, or Native studies). Certificate or Associates Degree can be transferred from a Community College or “College” to a bachelor degree granting institution for further study.

Undergraduate – Bachelor’s or “Baccalaureate” Degree (three to five years)

Students at the bachelor’s or baccalaureate” level “known as undergraduates “.the applicable requirement for admission undergraduate study is Successful completion of secondary school program. Bachelor’s degrees in Canada require three or four years of full-time study, and it varies on the province or whether the program is specialized or general. The honours baccalaureate degree usually indicates a higher degree of education in the honours subject, and a higher level of academic achievement, an honours degree at some universities may require an additional year of study.

Postgraduate – Master’s Degree/Doctoral Degree in Canada

A master’s degree in Canada requires two years of study after successful completion of an honours baccalaureate. The doctoral program requires a master’s degree as a qualification, , in some cases students can be allowed to pass directly to a doctoral program from an honours baccalaureate program. It requires three to five years of study and research, and a dissertation, as usual requirements for a doctorate. The degree is known as a Ph.D.; doctoral degrees in Canada could also be granted in particular fields with different names such as in music (D.Mus.) or law (LLD).

Regulated professions such as law, medicine, social work, and education, an internship or practicum is required to obtain a license to practice.

Some colleges and universities offer a one- or two-year postgraduate certificate and diploma programs to students who want to boost their undergraduate degree with specialized and certified training.

For more details and personal consultation please call one of consultants:

Canada : +1.647.526.2910 | Egypt: +20100.000.3301

Or drop us line in